11/17/06

Nuked!



I got my first radiation treatment today for the tumors on my head. It was a very simple process, each zap only takes about thirty seconds, and they have these thick metal plates with the shape of each tumor cut into it so that they can limit the area that they radiate. They also did a simulation for the tumor on the back of my chest cavity. They had to do a very precise CAT scan, making marks on my chest and sides with a Sharpie, then sent the pictures to some doctors somewhere else. The remote doctors assembled the images into a 3D model and plotted the best angle to shoot the radiation without hitting any lung tissue or other organs. Then they sent the info back to the radiologists here who tattooed some points on my chest and sides so they can aim the equipment for the actual treatment. They are going to use X-rays for my back instead of the Electron Beam they are using for my head. Since it can be a lot more damaging to other tissue they need to hit it more accurately. They will be doing both radiation treatments over the next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ryan,

We're so happy to be here in Seattle with you and Kendra and your parents. We want you to know that we are praying for you as you/we go through this difficult time. You are a very special person to us and to God and we know that He will be close to you too. Love you.

Uncle Tom and Aunt Jan

Anonymous said...

(I have no username)

Hey... I know you don't know me, but I know you know Krystle and her sister Kelly. I'm Krystle's fiance... so, I guess we kinda know each other in an off way. Money is tight, but, after I pay my bills, I'll see what I can do about sending some money your way for the treatments and all.

God bless,

-Tristan Whitehouse