11/17/06

Answers

Today we finally got the answer to the big question, "What kind of cancer is it?" The answer is, Liver Cancer. They've had a very difficult time identifying it, and kept telling us, "Tomorrow, we'll know tomorrow..." So now we are ready to discuss treatment options and what the prognosis really is. That will give us a much clearer idea of how to plan out the next couple of months.

Yesterday we talked to the Radiation people about starting me on some radiation treatment for the tumors on my head. These tumors seem to be growing at an almost visible rate and if we don't slow them down or shrink them, they will start pressing on my brain soon and causing major problems. They were pretty confident that a weeks worth of radiation treatments would reduce the size of the tumors considerably, and stop their growth. So today will be the first day of radiation, at around 3:15pm. The radiation they are going to use is an Electron Beam which is a highly focused beam that only penetrates about 3 cm deep. In other words, they won't be nuking my entire head. The side effects are skin irritation (redness, like a sunburn), possible hair loss (Gene, just shut up...), fatigue and nausea. The treatments will only be for about 15 minutes each day, for a week.

11 comments:

Reverend Gonzo said...

Noid just relayed the news to us on the Defcon Planning list and I wanted to express my well wishes "in person" from Minneapolis.

Anonymous said...

Hello! You have been in my thoughts nearly everyday now! I believe that the power of positive thinking could move mountains. You are such a loveable fella and I just want you to know that with all the energy going your way, you will prevail! Can hardly wait for you to get back to OB! I could really use some puter lovin! ;-) Keep your chin up!
xoxo, Kila Bell

clamoring said...

Hey Ryan. I know we've kinda fallen out of touch. Sheri just relayed the news. Of course let us know if we can help in any way. You're in for a long ride but you have support. Remember that.

Shericat said...

Hey man, we got the email from Kendra and are so very sorry to hear the bad news. We'll try to come by tomorrow to visit and help eat your lime jell-o :) Hang in there kittenhead!

kcmasterpiece said...

Ryan - my thoughts and prayers are with you right now. We were all shocked to get the news from Gene, and I've been sending healing vibes your way ever since. I don't know why certain things happen the way they do, I guess none of us do. But I have faith in your ability to fight this, and never forget how many people care about you and are pulling for you. Hurry up and get better and come party with us in OB. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ry, We all are thinking of you ... I'm sure you already know that Amber, Melinda, Julie and I are all coming to Seattle. We're all pulling for you. I love you Ryan...hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hello darling... Just wanted to say hello and I miss you and think about you everyday. I will be sending as much positive energy your way as I can. Can't wait to see you!!

big hugs,

Monica

Anonymous said...

I didnt call today for todays news, Im sorry. Your Miss I was rather pressing today. I am with you with all my heart. I wil call soon and look forward to seeing you in Dec. and to lurking in your closet. -Your Favorite Stalker

Anonymous said...

Ryan! Holler at me if you need anything, Battlestar Galactica episodes, a pudding cup, etc. Nerdy Girl and I are sending you our love, prayers, and positive vibes. I try and heckle you on IM/MSN but you've got your hands full of those nurses...wait I meant WITH those nurses, WITH them, so you might not have a lot of spare time. Keep your hands to yourself, and your chin up! I love you Ryan!

Unknown said...

Hi Ryan & Kendra! Remeber me Gary (aka Boozion) at the Gateway Amiga show and Decon with Kevin? You shaved my head there and gave me a mohawk! :-) I had just got the newz on you. I wish you well. I had just lost my Mother last April from cancer :-( You are a young Man and strong like the Amiga processors! They have the technology these days to do some amazing stuff. So hang in there buddy! Take care and I hope to hear from you soon. Happy holidays to you and your family!
Love ya! Gary!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,
We just heard about your diagnosis from friends (Jim & Jan Sinnema)in Wa. state who wanted to know if your Mom was related to us. They sent us your blog and we've been reading it all. What a journey you are on, remember you don't travel alone but the God of the universe is with you all the way!

I am Marlene (Van Laar) Hekman and my husband is your Mom's cousin Sid. It's a small world in sybyer space, but I'm glad we can send you our greeting and support you with our prayers, may His peace surround you and your family.

Please give our greeting to your Mom and Dad also.

If you or they should want to keep in touch our e-mail address is mshekman@gmail.com.

You are close in our thoughts and prayers.

Marlene and Sid