11/17/06

Prognosis

I had a chance to talk with Dr. Eaton, my Oncologist, about the situation more in-depth this afternoon. The prognosis is better than I anticipated, but still pretty bleak. The cancer has advanced too far to be cured. If we do nothing, they estimate I have approximately 6 to 12 months left to live. He made it very clear though that this is not a very accurate time frame, it's based on other people in my situation, but is in no way an accurate number. It could be less, it could be more, it could even be a lot more. So we are all trying to stay positive and hope for the best.

As far as treatment goes, the only type of treatment they can offer at this point is palliative care. This means that they can take measures to make me comfortable and to enhance the quality of my remaining life, but will not be able to extend my life beyond a few months. The radiation treatment is a good example of this. They are hoping to reduce the size of the tumors on my head so that they do not press against my brain and cause mental difficulties. They may even be able to stop them from growing any further. But this does not guarantee that new tumors won't appear in the future. It also does not stop the cancer from continuing to spread throughout my body. Because most of the tumors are small and spread throughout my liver, lungs and spleen, it would be impossible to treat each one with radiation and would cause extensive, and fatal, damage to the organs. One option that Dr. Eaton is talking to the team about is a chemotherapy treatment that is used in some lung cancer instances. It has the potential to reduce the size of most of the tumors, however, they have limited experience using it for liver cancer and therefore aren't sure if it will be effective at all. They would have to wait until after the radiation therapy is done before they can even begin the chemo, so he will be using that time to discuss the risks vs. benefits with many other doctors before we have to make a decision.

7 comments:

Jon Ringuette said...

Not sure if this is far enough along to help but I read an article about this awhile ago.. sounded kind of interesting : http://www.virtualtrials.com/REOLYSIN.cfm


And if there is a good time me and brian would like to stop by and say hi so just let us know.

Best wishes and get better.. now.. damnit!

Anonymous said...

I can't really think of anything profound or helpful to say... but just wanted to let you know that we're thinking of you and sending all the good vibes we can muster!

Anonymous said...

well.. this sucks, no way to sugar coat it or make it any nicer. I am sorry to hear that you are going through this... my cancer was not nearly as bad.. and lets hope that regardless of what the dr.'s say things get better.

tw

Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up, you never know what faith and a little humor can do for your health.

Just enjoy yourself, be loved and keep yourself focused on the same things you liked before this ordeal, minus the cold ones tough guy...

Love and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
We're praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ryan! (and Kendra) This news came as such a shock to all of us. We just want you to know that we are sure with you in this struggle. So glad we can hear your voice via your blog! You can be sure that we will be checking it every day. We're thinking about you so often and talking to God about you. Asking him to fill you with courage and hope for each new day. It sounds like the doctors are saying that healing from this cancer is very unlikely. Well, hey, let's pray for an unlikely miracle!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that there are treatments available, and you are taking action and fighting! I too have a very positive attitude and will be fightin with ya the whole way. If I could I'd kick that cancers ass and make it eat sand until it puked. I love you and am looking forward to your return home.
Jules