12/11/06

An Update

I know I said that we would be updating more frequently, but a lot has been going on in the past few days so we just haven't really thought to do it.

Anyway, Ryan started chemotherapy last week. He only goes two days out of two weeks, one after another. Fortunately, the clinic where it is done is right across the street from our place. We joked when we moved to this apartment that if we ever fell off a ladder or got bit by a poisonous spider we could just walk right out the door for medical assistance. Never really thought it would be this, though.

Chemo is pretty boring. He basically sits there for a couple of hours with an I.V. full of drugs. There are suposedly all kinds of weird side-effects, but so far we haven't noticed anything really bad. The side-effects are cumulative, so I expect we will see more in the future.

Another thing about chemo: liver cancer is apparently one of the more chemo-resistant cancers. The doctors want to try it to see how he responds, but if it looks like all the chemo is doing is making him sick, we will stop.

In other news: We have been recieving cards, letters, gifts, donations, and good will from so many people, and I want to thank you all for being so supportive. We could never do this alone.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Love you Ryan!

I'm keeping my eye out for airfares, hoping to make it to see you early in the new year.

(((Hugs)))
~Darcy

Anonymous said...

Hey there, you two.

Morgan and Sheri told Johnzo and me about what's going on. God, this sucks like a shop-vac. Giant, giant, giant hugs to both of you, and best of luck with the chemo.

Corinne Chapman said...

Ryan and Kendra,
I just heard the news from my mom and we're sitting here in Nashville thinking about you. I hope the chemo is not making Ryan feel too ill. I know his body is going through some enormous stress right now. I really hope that you will remember to make the most of every day even when the sickness and pain seem unbearable. I'm thinking about you both. If there are any shadowboxes you feel the need to find here in Nashville, I would love to help. I just thought it was such a cool thing that you were doing together and I loved the stamps you all had made. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
Oh my god we just found out. James and I would love to see you. Are you still in San Diego? We have missed you so much and had no idea how to reach you. We are back in Colorado but we will come out ASAP. Remember all the good times??? We do! You can contact me at j.moler@bresnan.net. I will be waiting! We love you!
James & Jaime Moler